Pendeen lighthouse came into service on 3 October 1900, to warn mariners of the treacherous coastline around the Pendeen headland.
The lighthouse was designed by Sir Thomas Matthews and constructed by Arthur Carkeek of Redruth for Trinity House – a charity incorporated by Royal Charter under Henry VIII in 1514 dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers.
The tower is 17 metres tall and stands on a clifftop at 59 metres above mean high tide level.
The light was originally powered by oil lamp, and although electric lamps are now used, the original rotating optic of eight Fresnel lens panels is still in use.
The lighthouse was automated in 1995, with three of the adjoining terraced cottages, that were originally built for the lighthouse keepers and their families, now rented out as holiday lets.
For more information on Pendeen Lighthouse, visit www.trinityhouse.co.uk/lighthouses-and-lightvessels/pendeen-lighthouse (external link)